Saturday, June 14, 2008


This week 6-12-08

Today we bid farewell to a lion, to one whose heart and faith have touched many of us.

Bill Leonard’s memorial service is today, and we will weep and laugh as we release him into the care of the God he trusted and loved.

The stories about him are sweet and funny and inspiring, stories of friendship in spite of disagreement, of generosity and loyalty, of his enormous heart. One of the great joys of his life was mentoring others, encouraging them, helping them along.

I know that I am different because of his support: more confident, more sure of myself. I know that I was more readily received by a congregation that had never in its 137 years had a woman pastor because of Bill’s unqualified support and love than I would have been otherwise. He gave advice when asked, he gave support always, and he was funny and loved to laugh. I miss him like crazy.

Last Sunday we welcomed in 7 confirmation students (Confirmands) into full membership in the church, and we baptized an 8 year old who asked her mother to arrange it- she wanted to be baptized. This church is a place where children thrive, where they find their voices, where they discover a faith that they can live. And this church is that way, in part because Bill Leonard (and others like him) have made darn sure that people of all ages care about such things. As I look at the row of these bright, thoughtful students, standing on the chancel with their sponsors behind them, I am grateful to be part of their lives, and in awe of what God may have in mind for them. It seems to me they shine like the sun.

I am deeply grateful and full of sadness today.

It is on days like this that I am most thankful for the promises of scripture,that do not depend on how I am ‘feeling’ or on my circumstances in order to be hopeful. The eternal God is our resting place, and underneath are the everlasting arms. Come to me, Jesus says, all you who are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.


What a good idea. Rest. And rest in the presence of the One who loves us best.

Thanks be to God. Amen.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

hey schmodna! how fun to come across your blog. just unpacked a book you and Tom gave us when we went to seminary 18 years ago! yikes!!!

kerrydwyn
kerri@peterson-davis.net